July 01, 2012

Ann Miller - My Favourite Dancing Queen






My friend Edith sent me this piece re the talented Rita Hayworth.
 
However I have always loved Ann Miller as the archetypal screen dancer,and also Cyd Charisse - stunning in so many movies yet a little more of the ballerina than the 'hoofer'.
I recall my aunt and uncle taking me to see “Kiss Me Kate” - with 3D glasses back then, “Hit The Deck” and many other movies.
Ann Miller was incredibly talented and impressive to me!
I was a fan from w-a-y back.
Ann’s beautiful dark looks, and her dancing capabilities were not easily dismissed, and if I ever noticed a movie with her in it,,well,,I had to watch it and I still do just that! 

Thankfully she did several.
I still love “Kiss Me Kate” – and I watch it regularly as I am totally hooked on Cole Porter and always have been.
Ann Miller may never have won an Academy Award, or anything like that but for me she is THE Dancing Queen!
Enjoy!

                                                                           

                                                            
George Sidney's terrific film adaptation of the popular Broadway musical (derived from Taming of the Shrew) underwent a lot of cleaning up from the Hays Office, which removed numerous suggestive lyrics and risque jokes. Even so, it's considered one of the most entertaining of the vaunted MGM musicals and still enchants today. Although the cleverly shot 3-D version initially racked up stronger grosses, the film played the majority of its major dates, including Radio City Music Hall, in 2D.

Brought to you by
http://www.trailersfromhell.com

Baz Luhrmann's Strictly Ballroom Musical: Dance Is In The Air 
Carlos Gardel And The Tango In Movies
A Look at a Legend: Rita Hayworth
Dance Mashup: Characters From Golden Era Of Movies Dance To ‘Uptown Funk’